Tuesday, February 20, 2018

What Does It Mean to be Natural?

Much of my life was spent in conservative Christian circles.  My first biology textbook adamantly denied the truth of evolution.  Abortions were abominations that must be outlawed.  Science was good only in that it was used to explore the Creator.  My passion and belief in science caused many debates in these communities, usually with me arguing for science and them arguing against.  One of these ongoing debates centered around vaccination.  Many in these groups were raised believing vaccines had many negative effects and should not be mandatory.  I was, and still am, fully vaccinated.  The arguments that vaccines caused autism or other debilitating diseases frequently were thrown at me.  In this way, I empathized with Eula Biss's sentiments expressed in her book On Immunity: An Inoculation.  These same people also stood opposed to genetically modified organisms, arguing it was unnatural.

This word was repeated throughout my life and was the subject of one chapter in Biss's book: natural.  It has become ingrained in our society that the word natural means better.  Fear-mongering occurs around "chemicals" in the water or in certain foods.  In reality, water is itself a chemical.  The entire world is made of chemicals, so to claim that chemicals are dangerous is foolish.  Biss quotes Wendall Berry to make an excellent point about this word.  " The more artificial a human environment becomes, the more the word 'natural' becomes a term of value." (Biss, 40-41).  The value becomes apparent, as foods marketed as natural charge higher prices.  The world has begun to crave naturality, a desire stemming from the artificial nature of society.  Should we strive to return to a natural world?

Many, myself included, believe that it should not.  The natural world is not a better or healthier alternative to an artificial one.  Diseases like polio, smallpox, measles, HIV, malaria, and Ebola are all natural entities.  Yet they have severe negative consequences on the human body, leading to death, paralysis, or permanent disfigurement.  Food becomes contaminated in its natural state, leading to even more debilitating natural diseases.

That is not to say that natural is bad.  There lie some legitimate concerns to artificiality.  As Biss illustrates, "Our technology both extends and endangers us.  Good or bad, it is part of us, and this is no more unnatural than it is natural." (Biss 50).  Danger lies in our artificial world, as it does in the natural world.  As with everything in life, it becomes a balancing act to find the middle ground between nature and artificial enhancement.

There has been an unhealthy obsession recently with the concept of nature.  Society is running from our technological advancements in the flawed belief that natural is better.  Perhaps my favorite Dr. Suess quote comes from his book Oh the Places You'll Go!  "So be sure when you step, Step with great care and great tact.  And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act."  While some skepticism of new advancements is healthy, fear of it is not.  With the embrace of this balance, humanity may one day be fully inoculated.

REFERENCES:

Biss, E. (2015). On immunity: an inoculation. Minneapolis, MN: Graywolf.

Suess, Dr. (1990). Oh The Places You'll Go. New York, NY: Random House.

9 comments:

  1. Yes! Beautifully written, Seth! Naturality (if that's a word) has not only gain value, but is also fetishized and commercialized. Going to the park and going camping are considered pastime here. But it is not the truth you'll find in Hong Kong or Rio de Janeiro. Not to mention the GMO skepticism trend, the taste for so-called organic food.

    For me, I think it's simply the inevitable reaction to current trends. It has happened before, it's happening now and it will happen again (the hippie movement, the zero-waste movement, and meta-cinematic movement) It's natural, that people would dislike the unnatural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find our culture's obsession with "counter-culture" simultaneously fascinating and concerning. On the one hand, it is healthy and beneficial to question that which is popular. It is this dialogue that led to the Civil Rights Act and legalization of gay marriage, and countless other modern truths. However, it can also lead to questioning well established beliefs simply because they are popular, not because they lack common sense (see the Flat Earth movement, ant-vaxxers, etc). It requires a balance, one which is not easy to find.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I agree. We'll have to assure a healthy balance of skepticism in the society. Call me naive but I believe: that every time some crooked doctor say something dumb to exploit people, there will be people to fight against it, to talk back with facts and reasons. So I believe it's also important to ensure the freedom of speech and decentralization of information. You just gotta believe it's gonna be OK.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with your point about people putting an emphasis on the term "natural" because there's a belief that natural is always better, which is not true. In my nutrition class, my professor discussed this exact point and how "natural" is not always better. I also liked your quote from Dr. Seuss, I believe it correlates with not only this topic, but the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love using quotes from different books when talking about things, and the quote fits quite well. I'm glad this idea is being combated in academia, as informing the public is the only way any of this can change.

      Delete
  3. I find your piece very interesting, and it makes me question the newer movements of society. Guilty as charged, I have reverted to favoring a more natural lifestyle, however I believe if balanced right, then both the natural and "artificial" worlds may combine harmoniously. For me, I desire to rid myself of the useless technology--for example, I've been trying to cut back on electronics and other technology that is fun, but not necessary. Also, I have been monitoring the natural and artificial intake in my diet, and it's surprising with how much difference there is between an artificial and a natural diet. That being said, there is necessary technology and parts of this world that are better with our current inventions, and inoculation is certainly one of them. But, we must not lose ourselves in the shininess and practicality of technology while completely forgetting some aspects of nature. Again, very interesting piece, and I enjoy your commentary and examples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post! We seem to have developed an obsession with being "natural" in recent years, and maybe it is because of the counter-culture that is so popular. But whatever the case, it is important to understand that natural is not necessarily better, as you said. If we have made innovations that have improved the world around us, it seems silly to take steps backward in the interest of being "natural."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a well thought out post and I enjoyed reading it! It is very insightful and is very relevant. The term natural in today's society blows me away. I think its fascinating that humans don't term themselves as a part of nature or 'natural' with their man-made products as artificial. However, aren't the tools and strategies humans use natural just like the tools and strategies of other animals? Skyscrapers, medicine, chemicals, economy ... isn't that arguably all part of nature like the shelters and systems of other organisms? A very interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also grew up around a community like that, even though my family stands with me when I say that vaccines are good and should be kept up to date. Science has always been a hotly-debated topic, even though I was never really sure why. The same people who "disgaree" with vaccinations are the same ones who are taking pill bottle of vitamins and minerals to "naturally" boost their immune system. I myself took Vitamin B12 before I began to suffer from cyanide toxicity (supplements are just made of synthesized compounds that give B12 as a by-product. Vitamin B12 supplements also gives cyanide as a by-product).

    ReplyDelete