Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Vocabulary of Vaccines


            I pride myself on being very knowledgeable about vaccines. I know all the common arguments against vaccination and I’m generally aware of why they’re wrong. Yet it wasn’t until beginning to read Eula Biss’s On Immunity: An Inoculation that I realized I was pretty clueless about some of the fundamental aspects of what a vaccine actually is. Sure, I’ve heard of thimerosal and its infamy as “the mercury in vaccines,” but until recently I didn’t actually know what thimerosal was or what it does in our body. And I’d never even heard of squalene.
            Thimerosal is what is known as an organomercurial compound, which essentially means it is an organic (carbon-containing) molecule that contains one or more mercury atoms. It has antimicrobial properties, which “help prevent potentially life threatening contamination with harmful microbes” in multi-dose vaccines (FDA). In simpler terms, thimerosal kills any “germs” that may be lurking in vials of vaccine. Without it, these “germs” could be injected directly into our body and cause a far worse infection than the flu ever could.
            Our fear of thimerosal stems from the frightening connotations of a mercury-containing product being injected into our children’s bodies. However, not all mercury-based products are created the same. The FDA’s factsheet on thimerosal notes that this compound degrades to ethylmercury in our bodies, which “should be distinguished from methylmercury…[which is] the type of mercury found in certain kinds of fish” and “can be toxic to people” at high levels (FDA). Thimerosal exists as 0.001% to 0.01% of a dose of vaccine, which is “roughly the same amount of elemental mercury contained in a 3 ounce can of tuna fish” (FDA). The research (strongly) suggests that we’re not all going to die from the thimerosal in vaccines. And even if it were a concern, thimerosal “was removed from every childhood vaccine except multi-dose flu vaccines by 2002” (Biss, 11).
            Squalene is a naturally-occurring compound found in “a great many living things including the human body, where it is manufactured in the liver” (Biss, 10). In the vaccine world, squalene comes from various fish oils, including shark oil, and is used to “enhance the immune response when added to antigens” (WHO, 2006). Squalene is not currently used in vaccines in the United States, but retains its bad reputation due to a suggested link “between the health problems of Gulf-War veterans and possible presence of squalene in vaccines;” however, “squalene was not added to the vaccines administered to these veterans, nor was it used in the manufacturing process” and “various papers have [since] been published outlining the technical deficiencies in that original report” (WHO, 2006). Like thimerosal, squalene is essentially a non-issue for our health and safety.
            It is evident that many of the things we think we know about the “dangers” of vaccines have been scientifically debunked or are simply not true. Yet some of us would rather leave our children unvaccinated and at the mercy of nature than “risk” vaccinating them. And yet, science has told us time and time again that “if there [is] a problem with vaccines it [is] not with thimerosal, and it [is] not with squalene” (Biss, 11).



Biss, E. (2015). On immunity: An inoculation. Minneapolis, MN: Graywolf.

Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. (n.d.). Vaccine safety & availability - Thimerosal and vaccines. Retrieved February 13, 2018, from https://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228

World Health Organization. (2006, July 14). Safety of squalene. Retrieved February 12, 2018, from http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/committee/topics/adjuvants/squalene/Jun_2006/en/
cv

5 comments:

  1. I thought I knew quite a bit about vaccines. Biss proved me wrong. While I understood the basic idea behind them, I was unfamiliar with a lot of relatively common and feared ingredients in vaccinations. I found that I had to look up some of these compounds as well. While I was a vaccine supporter before, I felt even better knowing that a lot of these questionable ingredients are no longer in vaccinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Biss makes a point in support of vaccines by ridiculing some of the fears about substances they may or may not contain. She points out all of the apparent fears other mothers have about vaccines and then explains why they aren't true. The only thing keeping those mothers from vaccinating their children is paranoia over what might be in vaccines and not anything actually in those vaccines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thimerosal and squalene were just two of the reasons why so many people were, and some still are, scared of vaccinations. Thanks to your blog, I know a lot more about them and can share my knowledge with other people. I think if people did a little research of their own instead of just listening to exaggerated headlines from unreliable sources, people would be less scared of getting vaccines or vaccinating their children. I believe Biss was trying to prove this point by describing all of her experiences as a mother throughout the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you; I though I knew more about vaccines than I really did. Your piece is certainly eye-opening, and I appreciate that you took the time to research certain points in Biss' novel. It's interesting how the stigma still persists surrounding vaccinations when so many studies and new innovations have proven just how beneficial inoculation could be. I believe there needs to be more advertisement, so to speak, supporting vaccinations. In the past couple of years, I can recall more ads and news stories only portraying the negative side effects of vaccinations than I can with those stating reasons why it is important or any pieces rebutting their claims. Media controls society's mindset, and I truly believe they need to start showing the positive side of inoculation more so that the stigma decreases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! It is rather astonishing to me that there are still so many people that abstain from vaccinating their children because of outdated and disproved beliefs. But thank you for explaining the nuances of two of the reasons that some don´t vaccinate their children. Hopefully, more people will begin to look into the facts about vaccination and just how dangerous it is to not vaccinate children.

    ReplyDelete