Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Future of the Human Genome

In May of 1998, Craig Venter announced that he was going to create a private company to map out the entire human genome (Shreeve 6).  People could not imagine this ever happening, considering how big the human genome is but, if he did so they knew it would be a huge scientific achievement.  It could lead to treatments for diseases.  It would allow doctors to get a better look at what genes are the cause of different diseases.  It would lead to more accurate medicines and understanding of the human organism alone.  But as the human genome project is completed and technology becomes more advanced, the prices for receiving an individualized genetic test will go down and people will be more likely to get them done just because they can and they’re curious about their genetics.
The future of the genetic field would lead to license-like plastic cards which would hold a chip that contained the person’s entire genetic code.  Venter said these cards would hold information that would be key to these people’s lives.  Imagine Jeff’s card (random person) which says if he smoked he would have a 37% chance of developing lung cancer before he was sixty years old, so he didn’t smoke.  He knew that aspirin would help him prevent heart disease, so he would take aspirin especially since he had the defective gene APOE, which puts him at a higher risk for heart attacks and strokes.  This would therefore change the way he ate and exercised on a daily basis.  The card would tell him what his chances of going insane or committing suicide would be (Shreeve 8,9).  It would tell him a bunch of other random little bits of information as well which could ultimately change the way Jeff lived his life.
Not only would people be able to change their lives based on the genetic coding, but other people have the possibility of being able to change their lives as well.  The misuse of genetic information is a scary thing to imagine.  Even though Venter thought a lot about the success of the human genome code, he also thought a lot about the possible exploitation of it as well.  If a person has a certain APOE gene, they will not necessarily develop Alzheimer’s but have an increased risk in developing the disease.  What if there was a similar gene, where the person had an increased risk, not an automatic fixed occurrence, in becoming a pedophile? Would the law enforcement put everyone with that gene in jail, even though some of those people may not necessarily become pedophiles? (Shreeve 217)
Sometimes, I think the human genome is a beautiful thing.  The possibilities of finding genes where diseases lie and possible cures for said diseases is amazing.  But sometimes, the thought of it scares me.  Knowing everything about yourself and also knowing the possibilities of the future that may not even occur.  Although it may be helpful in some cases to know the possibilities, it may also make some people go crazy, wondering if it will happen and when it will happen.
There was a quote in the book that I found and it immediately made me wonder about all the possibilities with the human genome and what the future will look like as technology furthers.  Craig Venter said, “My solution would be to change the Fourteenth Amendment.  Instead of saying you cannot discriminate on the basis of race, creed, gender, or whatever, it should just say you can’t be discriminated against on the basis of genetic information, period.  Because that covers everything else” (Shreeve 217).
Sources:                                                          

Shreeve, James.  The Genome War: How Craig Venter Tried to Capture the Code of Life and Save the World.  New York: Ballantine, 2005.  Print.

4 comments:

  1. I like your comment about being scared of knowing everything about yourself that your genetic code could provide. Personally, I would rather not know what my genome is, because I feel like I would constantly be living in fear of what health issue I would develop. Yes it could be helpful in specific cases, but if I went through everyday life knowing what percentages of health risks I have, it would put a lot of restrictions on the way I lived. I would be better off making any free choice I wanted instead of always determining my actions based on whether it could be potentially harmful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing your entire genome and the implications of certain genes is daunting. How would you live life fully if you are constantly worrying about possible health complications? There are medical benefits to knowing what diseases you are prone to acquire, but I believe that the emotional stress may be too much for most people, if not all. Personally, I would not like a list of all my chances for certain diseases because there is always a possibility that it may not happen. I would most likely worry about every little detail that is present in my life and not enjoy life itself. I think it's knowing how my life may turn out, rather than unknowing, that would stop me from decoding my genome since the future would be a constant worry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that the thought of people, especially insurance companies, having my genetic information is scary and a cause for concern. I am on the fence about knowing my genome. I would like to know what steps I can take to prevent cancer, heart disease, and other fatal conditions, but I also would not want to know that I may get Alzheimer's because that isn't preventable which means I'd be constantly freaking out every time I forget the simplest thing. I would not want to live life like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post reminds me a lot of the movie Gattaca. If employers and insurance companies had access to a person's potential of developing certain diseases, it would lead to a significant amount of employment discrimination based on genetics. In my opinion, genetic testing leads to more problems than it is worth in most cases. It seems most of the prevention methods(eating healthy and staying active) are the advice you would otherwise receive from doctors anyways without testing and the constant worry of the likelihood of developing some disease. Living in fear, seems worse than just taking precautions in the first place.

    ReplyDelete