Thursday, February 18, 2016

Pets Or No Pets?

Almost every person that I have met has owned or currently owns pets. You know what’s something else that I noticed about these people? They all seem to be living pretty happy lives. Yes they may be in school. And yes they also may be like me, and feel like they are drowning in all the work that they need to complete for school. But regardless, their pets are what keep them happy and upbeat.

An adorable Shiba Inu dog, ready to make your day as happy as his!
Owning pets has been scientifically proven to do a multitude of things that most people would assume has no correlation to health. For example, it has been studied that people who own pets have a much healthier heart than those who do not own pets. The effects of being with pets lowers your blood pressure compared to not having any time with animals. Heart attack survivors and people with serious heart conditions who own pets have been shown to live longer lives also. Another good example is the one where its been shown moods can be drastically affected by having or not having pets. People were reported to be generally happier overall, have more trust, and obviously be less lonely than those who don’t have pets. They were also shown to not visit the doctor as much as non pet people, and went for much more minor problems than your average person.  As pet researcher Allen r. McConnell, PhD. of Miami University stated, “[The pet owner] feels like you have greater control of your life when you have pets’.
A chubby cat ready to snuggle you to bed!
Moving away from the benefits of ones self by having a pet, the benefits for children in families that own pets are also positive and high. Studies conducted have shown that babies who are in pet owing households tend to not have allergies or asthma. One study found that babies with cats and/or dogs in the home tend to have fewer colds and ear infections than children with no animals in their immediate lives.


The next time the question comes up of whether or not to get a family companion, someone else that can be there for the family, for you the petowner, the kids, whoever it may be for, take a deeper thought into it. The benefits of having that adorable puppy or that snuggly cat clearly outweight the consequences, regardless of what they may be.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your article about pets enlightening peoples' spirits. Animals seem to have a therapeutic effect on most people. This was very prevalent when I volunteered in a hospital, and watched as dogs were brought in to visit the patients, and every person was always very excited to see the them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great way to persuade parents to get a family pet. Personally, I have grown up with at least one dog at any time and they are certainly great at lifting up spirits! I find it interesting that children that grew up with pets tend to have a lower percentage of allergies and asthma, like what Dr. Kottyan discussed in one of the class sessions. I believe that people know, to some extent, the benefits of pets since there are therapy pets, but people do not realize the greater positive impact that owning pets really has on someone's health. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your post about the "healing" power of pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite posts so far! I completely agree, I have grown up with a house of pets, whether it be a family owned cat, or some found critters from outside. I will admit that I'm a bit obsessed with my cats, but I have first hand seen the benefits of having a household pet. It is absolutely a stress reliever and make me happier in general. Of course this could depend on the personality of your pet, as my cats have also been laid back and snuggly. I haven't seen my cats in over a month this semester and I can feel my stress level rising, so hopefully I can make time for a home visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting to read! I grew up having dogs and they always make me happier, but who knew I might be healthier than someone with a pet because of them? I think it makes sense that people recovering from medical problems respond better if they have pets because they have constant company and someone to cheer them up. This also makes sense why they have therapy pets to make people happier, most likely boosting their body's functions. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading some of the comments I'm definitely an outlier! My mom has always been allergic to household animals, (or at least that's what she told me and my brother) so I've never had a pet. That is, unless you count the fish from the church festivals that usually died within the week, which I don't. My dad used to name them Flushy 1 and Flushy 2, since they usually ended up getting flushed down the toilet as their funeral. Anyway, this was interesting for me to read because I always felt like I had a pretty happy childhood even without pets. But who knows - maybe I could've been even happier with a puppy by side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who has an emotional support animal, I can definitely attest to the benefits of having pets. I don't know how I would get through college without my cat Artemis. She helps me cope with anxiety, stress, and just brings my mood up in general. Sharing your life with a pet really encourages you to keep things together and take care of yourself so you can then in turn take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the owner of a new puppy, I know how gratifying it can be to come home after a long day to a tail-wagging, excited dog. It is always happy to see me whether I have been gone for 9 hours at school or if have just returned my room. I concur that pets relieve stress and thus prevent health problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the owner of a new puppy, I know how gratifying it can be to come home after a long day to a tail-wagging, excited dog. It is always happy to see me whether I have been gone for 9 hours at school or if have just returned my room. I concur that pets relieve stress and thus prevent health problems.

    ReplyDelete