Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Study vs. Sleep

           Sleep is one of the most important factors in survival.  People can die from sleep deprivation before dying from starvation.  Imagine never getting enough sleep and always feeling tired, just counting the hours until you can go back to bed.  Well, this experience can be a daily occurrence in college.  College students are prime examples of how a lack of sleep can affect one’s daily life.  We struggle each day trying to manage our schedules, trying to balance studying, working, experiencing the “college life”, etc., but at what expense?  Should college students sleep less to study more?  In my experience, this is what I do, but I might not be making the right choice.
On average, people get approximately 7 hours of sleep.  College students can attest that 7 hours of sleep is usually just a dream.  Researchers predict humans should sleep an average of 9.55 hours each day.  In a study I found, researchers estimate that people spend 1.56 hours of sleep in rapid eye movement sleep (REM), which is within the range that should be spent in this stage.  However, by their calculations, people should spend an average of 8.42 hours in non-REM sleep daily.  This is where humans fall short by only reaching 5.41 hours of sleep.  According to the American Sleep Apnea Association, the third stage of NREM is, “… a regenerative period where your body heals and repairs itself.”  Therefore, if students don’t get enough sleep, they can experience adverse effects resulting from sleep deprivation.  Sleep deprivation can cause cognitive loss such as memory, concentration, and moodiness. 
Based on this information, I believe I’m making the wrong decision.  Students stay up all night trying to memorize their notes, but if they don’t get enough sleep, this can result in memory loss.  This is because over-worked neurons can no longer function to coordinate information properly, losing the ability to access previously learned information.  Depending on people’s majors, they could experience this conundrum frequently.  However, I believe every student goes through this journey during finals week.  Each student wants to study as much as they can to retain every piece of knowledge.  Thus, sacrificing their sleep schedule. 
            I wasn’t quite sold about sleeping more, but through more research, I found further evidence to support this argument.  In the journal Child Development, there was a study done on 535 high school students tracking how long they slept and comparing this to their performance in the classroom.  The students were tracked for two weeks and the researchers concluded that students with less sleep performed worse on tests, quizzes, and homework.  Although this is only one study, there have been plenty of others supporting this evidence ranging from Science Daily to a research team at the University of York.  I’ve concluded that students should choose an adequate night of sleep instead of studying throughout the night.  Maybe now I will start going to bed at a reasonable time the day before an exam instead of trying to cram large amounts of information, but is it worth the risk?

Bower, B. (2018, March 07). Humans don’t get enough sleep. Just ask other primates. Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://www.sciencenews.org/article/humans-primates-sleep-evolution

Sleep, Learning, and Memory. (n.d.). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep/learning-memory

Why Sleeping May Be More Important Than Studying | MindShift | KQED News. (2013, January 11). Retrieved March 07, 2018, from https://www.kqed.org/mindshift/26079/why-sleeping-may-be-more-important-than-studying


9 comments:

  1. "Imagine never getting enough sleep and always feeling tired, just counting the hours until you can go back to bed." -- Wow, I read this and was like "that's me," only for you to go on to explain that that's EXACTLY what most college students' sleep hygiene is like. Of course, following your explanation, it makes sense that we should focus on our sleep before focusing on cramming for that next exam or finishing that paper. To answer your question, "Is it worth the risk?" I sure hope so. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this has been one of the various dilemmas I've faced in college. Poster answer like "Find the balance" has not helped at all. It's might be beneficial to think in terms of cost benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh yes, the plight of college students. When it comes to sleep vs. studying, many of us do choose to study and pay no attention to the consequences that can arise, like doing poorly on that exam you put in all that time studying for. It is a quite a difficult to task to juggle everything and get the proper sleep but many studies deem sleep extremely important. I think it is important to know yourself and know how many hours you need to sleep to avoid being a zombie the next day. Very interesting post, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always found myself to be someone to sleep rather than study. I prefer to trust what I know and accept what I don't in order to feel awake for an exam. That said, I have been getting less sleep in college than I would like. This is due mainly to the fact that I joined the rowing club and now have to get up for practice every day at 4 am. This is a little different from the sleep vs. study idea but it is definitely related. Finding a balance is key no matter if you're studying, playing a sport, and being involved in some other club, sleep is still very important and I'm glad you reached that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always pick sleep. All it took was one bad test to verify what I already believed to be true: getting a solid 7 hours of sleep is crucial to performing well. I can’t think of a single time I’ve stayed up studying and actually retained information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nearing graduation I’ve found that before an exam, it is far more effective for me to go to bed early rather than studying later. While staying up is fine a couple days beforehand, the night of just leaves you exhausted when you try to think. I don’t even try to study the day of an exam because I need to sleep on something to effectively remember it, and I imagine that is tied to some of the points you bring up on memory. I also volunteer at a public middle school near here and the students, when this research is brought up, always want to move the start time for class later because of the required loss in sleep. When allowed a full night’s rest, adolescent car accidents have been observed to decrease which probably implies better alertness and ability to think. Staying up late probably causes similar problems to getting up too early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, like many others, can attest that sleep deprivation is a way too common problem. I work night shift and to make it work with my schedule I often work the night before a full day of school or the night after. I also drive about an hour and a half to school. This together is a large problem that I know I need to solve. There are many times driving that I find that I arrive at my destination and cannot remember anything about the drive. I agree with Daniel (though don't usually follow; do as I say not as I do) that exams are far more effective if sleep is chosen over cramming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot agree with this more. Struggling to balance school, sleep, and other activities has always been a struggle. But, as many others, I find it extremely hard to focus if I do not get enough sleep the night before. Many times, this lack of focus is more of a detriment than the work I would have missed out on staying up late.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find this article so relevant and so true, I cannot relate more to how much more helpful sleep has been to my cognitive ability versus staying up all night studying for a test and being exhausted. I know that there is scientific evidence that supports the idea that if you have to study all night, that you take breaks to sleep because you solidify the information better when you sleep (versus pulling an all nighter)

    ReplyDelete